Data Center Asset Management Company Points Out Six Ways to Monitor and Manage Data Center Assets in Webinar Wednesday, March 26, 2014 at 2 PM ET
Data center managers and other IT professionals in charge of managing data center assets often feel like they’re on a pirate treasure hunt. That’s because data center assets like servers, storage and switches can suddenly become the high-tech equivalent of gold doubloons when they are “hidden” due to improper asset management or undocumented moves, adds and changes. To help IT professionals avoid becoming pirates on a treasure hunt every time they want to locate a rogue data center asset, Asset Vue, a provider of RFID based asset management and data center management solutions, is partnering with No Limits Software, to deliver a complimentary webinar titled Data Center Treasure Hunt (How accurate is your map?) on Wednesday, March 26 at 2 PM ET. IT professionals are encouraged to register at http://bit.ly/OizLD9.
“We say that data center managers and other IT professionals can sound like a bunch of pirates yelling “Arrrgh” every time they have to conduct an audit and can’t locate an asset” said John Consoli, Executive Vice President for Asset Vue. “With this webinar, we want to demonstrate some simple ways to avoid the feeling of hunting to find data center assets or reconcile audit errors.”
Six Ways to Avoid Hunting for Treasure in Your Data Center
“With proper processes and some simple technology, like RFID tagging, data center managers can account for and locate every asset inside their data centers,” says Consoli. Here are a few tips:
1. Get a better treasure map. Instead of sifting through spreadsheets or blindly searching for data center assets, like servers, storage and switches, Consoli recommends developing an accurate “map” using RFID tagging and automated data center information management (DCIM) software to tag and track data center assets.
2. Get better info. IT pros are encouraged to make sure they have a good DCIM solution in place to correctly capture all necessary asset data and create a central repository.
3. Get a better process. It’s important to establish accurate and efficient data center asset management procedures that can be followed by the entire operations staff.
4. Get a happy crew. Data center audits can drag down productivity and affect morale when assets are incorrectly tagged. “You want to avoid a mutiny? Get this part fixed,” says Consoli.
5. Get better tools. Using a clipboard, pencil and a flashlight is often the default for data center audits. Better tools include RFID tags and scanners to tag and track automate the process.
6. Get your data center ship on course. One small change can make a world of difference for asset management. Consoli recommends developing a specific plan of action that will involve every new asset that comes into the data center. “Trying to tackle all the existing assets can be overwhelming,” he says. “Try starting with new assets and including existing assets over time. Don’t try to boil the ocean”.
Want to learn more?
About Asset Vue
Asset Vue, LLC is a Bristol, PA-based provider of RFID based asset management and data center management solutions. The company offers technology designed to solve the kinds of regular challenges faced by “data center people” in their daily roles and their strategic responsibilities that is not found in other tools. The passive-RFID solution represents the culmination of living and working through the daily challenges faced by data center management and leadership across the industry. The company’s executive leadership and product development staff bring vast, direct experience from the world of data center operations, where they have worked with some of the world’s most complex and most high-profile data center operations. For additional information, please visitwww.assetvue.com